Mike Minchinton Custom Surfboards
Welcome to our Shaping Room
Mike Minchinton specializes in creating classic and high-performance longboards and shortboards as well as being considered the best surfboard wood worker in the industry.
Mike is an expert in the creation of balsa surfboards as well as wood surfboard fins and custom tailblocks.
If you ever wanted a balsa surfboard, you have to get a Mike Minchinton hand-crafted surfboard.
Mike is also known for the lost art of performance retro surfboard creation including all the classics from resin swirls to volan glass!!
- Head shaper for Robert August Surfboards for over 21 years
- Shaped longboard and shortboard surfboards for Wind and Sea surfboards for 25 years
- Shaped longboard and shortboard surfboards for Corky Carroll, Alex Knost, Brian Anderson, Josh Mohr, Paul Strauch, Wingnut, Miki Dora, Joey Hawkins, Mary Osbourne Mike Doyle, Lance Carson and a host of other professional and well known surfers
- 40 years of longboard and shortboard surfboard shaping and board building experience
- Designed numerous models for Surf Tech, including, Saber model longboard surfboard, Corky Carroll model longboard surfboard, Wingnut longboard surfboard and stand up paddle boards
- Shaped many surfboards for movies like Endless Summer 2, Chasing Dora, Step Into Liquid
Mike Minchinton spent the last two years traveling back forth to Ecuador, perfecting the art of shaping Balsa surfboards at Shark Bay Balsa.
Mike has been a Huntington Beach Local since 1960. He grew up surfing Huntington Beach and began shaping longboard surfboards out of his garage for friends using all hand tools and eventually gained quite a few customers and a reputation for shaping custom hand shaped surfboards.
His unique style and quality of surfboard shapes caught the attention of many surfboard shapers and surfers. It eventually landed him a job at Robert August Surfboards, where he became head shaper. He has hand shaped well over 15,000 surfboards and longboards.